Tuesday, December 11, 2007

How to Make a Tutu


It's Delia's birthday next week and I wanted to get her a tutu, so I turned to etsy to find myself one to buy. And then I figured I am sure I could make one myself. So I did.

I went to the fabric store and got 4 yards of tulle, 2 yards of light pink and 2 yards of dark pink. I think it costs about $1.50 a yard and you could use way less than I did. I made a super puffy tutu! I bought a couple of yards of ribbon and some rhinestones to glue on.

I cut the tulle into strips, mine were about 2 and 1/2 inches wide and 14 inches long (decide how long you want your tutu to be, double that and that should be your length). Then I took my ribbon and tied it between two chairs to make it easier to tie the tulle onto it. I used a lark's head knot to tie the tulle onto the ribbon. And about 45 minutes later I was done.

I decided to use a ribbon because I wanted it to have a cute bow but I thought when I was finished that I should have used an elastic so that Delia could get it on and off by herself and then just tie a bow onto the elastic.

I found the instructions through flickr. If you google "flickr how to make tutu" you'll find it. I didn't want to link directly to the website because she has some, ahem, "artistic" pictures of herself in her tutu!

If Delia likes it, I'll post pictures of her wearing it next week! Happy tutu making.

9 comments:

Topsy said...

Beautiful work Christina. If you ever have some free time to make another one, let me know what it would cost to make and ship. My creative juices have been boxed up somewhere in the garage and access will probably be denied for some time. I'm sure Delia will love it!

Honey said...

You go girl! That looks great. Not only did you make a beautiful tutu for Delia, but I bet you saved some $$ too. Thanks for the tips! And, definitely post some pics of your darling ballerina.

Danielle said...

Cute cute! See this is why I am so excited about having a girl. How fun.

Sarah said...

I've tried and I've tried, but there's just no way to make that for a boy!

Mrs. Cropper said...

CHECK YOU OUT!

Topsy said...

Christina, the first time I read your blog, I stopped at the sentence where instructions were on flicker and clicked directly over there. WHOA, once I've recovered from embarrassement/disgust, I checked the rest of your paragraph. I've learned my lesson, I'll read all the way through next time. Whoops.

Jill said...

You are amazing Christina. Maybe one day I will be brave and venture into the world of creativity. I just got my sewing machine out to learn how to use it this past week. It is last year's present from my mom and she was thrilled to hear I hemmed a few items on it this week!

MamaWheeler said...

This is perfect. My little gal is about to turn 4, and we're getting ready for her first "Friend Birthday Party." What a terrific party favor this would make for her Tinkerbell/Fairy Birthday. Nice work...gorgeous and SO affordable!

Unknown said...

I know I don't know you, but I also have a daughter named Delia. I just wanted to tell you what a beautiful job you did. I was searching online for the same thing, a tutu for her first birthday and thought, Hey, I can make this.....and I came upon your site. The funny part was that I have never met anyone ever, aside from my grandma, that was named Delia. Pretty cool.
Thanks for the tips!! :) Great job!