Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Day Off & Bad Things Come in 3's


We had an easy day today. Only one couple for breakfast, young honeymooners from Manitoba. They were so nice. We were supposed to have another couple staying with us, but when they showed up last night they said they couldn't stay with us because our house smelled of paint.

I am trying to make a piece of artwork for our bedroom and I smelled up the house a little bit with oil paints. Our B&B is scent-free and is usually a safe place for people with chemical sensitivities. Our guest hadn't told us that she was chemically sensitive (they usually do) and I didn't know the oil paints would smell so bad (I had never tried painting before), so put that together and you end up with unhappy customers.

They said they were going out to dinner and then would come back to see if they would be able to stay here. We took the painting out of the basement and put it in the shed, opened all the windows, turned on some fans and voila - in 30 minutes no smell. But they didn't come back - they called at 10:30 pm and said they found another place to stay and would stop by here today to check on "the smell." They were going to be our only guests tonight so I have been waiting at home all night for them, thinking that they most likely are not coming, but waiting to be sure. So, our first night off since May 23, but I'm not sure if it counts if you have to stay home all night wondering if the people that said they were going to come actually do.

Sarah told me that bad things happen in sets of threes, so I figure I should be done for a while:

1. I almost burned down the B&B last Thursday. I turned the frying pan on and poured some oil on for stir-fry and then Joshua made a run for the front door telling me he wants to go pee outside. We run a business from our home on a busy road - there will be no peeing off of the front porch we tell him.
We were willing to let him go out back and tried to encourage him to do so, but that wasn't what he had in mind. There is kicking, screaming, and biting (all from the 4 year old!) and we had guests upstairs. We make the trek to the basement, so the battle is inaudible to our paying customers.
Everyone is finally calmed down and we head upstairs to a kitchen full of smoke. Mr. Innkeeper grabs the flaming pan, he runs it outside and we are shaken, but safe. Then the smoke detector starts going off, which causes the alarm system to go off. Our guests come out of their bedroom and ask in their English accent "Do we have to evacuate the building?", and then our guests from Mexico arrive home, and then the firetrucks arrive (courtesy of ADT) and my Dad (courtesy of ADT). Turns out ADT tried to call, but Mr. Innkeeper was on the phone taking a reservation, while the alarm and smoke detector were going off, and since ADT couldn't get through they sent reinforcements. Our Mexican guests still enjoyed their stay with us - see here.

2. The next day the washing machine flooded. I tried to wash my mattress pad (because Delia's diaper leaked during the night) and it was a little too big for the machine!

3. On Sunday I almost hit Joshua with the van. I had to leave church early and so I said good-bye to Mr. Innkeeper and the kiddos, but Joshua started running up to the van as I was backing up - so scary. I miss being car-free.

I will try to post the positive things that are happening as well. My life is full of them.

5 comments:

Honey said...

Christina, I love it!! What a great blog! You have to post some pics of your adorable family. How fun to hear of your adventures. I always wonder how you manage everything. What a great mom and innkeeper! We miss you guys! Stay safe out there..:) Love to all!

liz said...

What an eventful first post! Somehow, I don't think you'll have any trouble coming up with material for your new blog. So glad you've joined us in the blogosphere!

Sarah said...

Yeah Christina! I'm so excited for you! You'll probably get a .v. show out of this. You're so much more ambitious than me! Also, you're very brave to tell both sides of your family abou this. I limit mine just to my side so that I can speak freely

Mrs. Cropper said...

Stina! I am so excited about your blog! And I can't believe all of your stories! Will you please post a picture of your smelly painting? Good for you, Miss Creative Pants! Oh I am just thrilled thrilled thrilled about you blogging because I miss you so!

Taylor said...

Oh man, what a nightmare! The Inn looks great though. Someday I'd love to have a little B&B--After the kids are grown up. We can't wait to come up in August.