Sunday, July 22, 2007

What's for Breakfast

We headed to the library yesterday after the 4th straight day of rain. I brought back a few cookbooks, including Feast by Nigella Lawson (which is my new favorite cookbook). I started with her fishcakes for dinner (baked, not fried), I made this granola last night and I made her banana buttermilk pancakes for our family breakfast this morning (sometimes I do make breakfast twice, Joshua always asks for pancakes)! We also had potato and onion hash for dinner. All delicious. I had been making a granola recipe that I found on allrecipes.com but I haven't been able to find good quality coconut lately. So I thought I would try this one. Enjoy!
Andy's Fairfield Granola
from Nigella Lawson's Feast

4.5 cups rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
¾ cup sesame seeds
¾ cup apple sauce
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
⅓ cup brown rice syrup
¼ cup honey
¾ cup light brown sugar
2 cups whole almonds
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. sunflower oil
2 cups raisins
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2.Mix everything (except the raisins) together.

3. Spread on baking sheets and bake for 40-60 minutes (till evenly golden, after one turning).

4. Cool and add raisins.

Notes:
One variation: replace almonds with raw peanuts and add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to seeds and oats at the outset. Skip the raisins.

1 comment:

Taylor said...

This looks tasty. I've always wanted to make my own granola. I like to make granola/power bars to take on hikes. It's nice to be able to control what goes into them--no corn syrup or partially hydrogenated anythings.